Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Journals

The members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are sometimes reminded to keep a journal.  I've sometimes heard the joke that some people have tried to keep a journal just like Wilford Woodruff, but after a couple of days, they forget to do so after a week or so because it can be overwhelming.  I mean, to keep a daily history is an overwhelming task just like any habit you want to gain.

But why keep a journal in the first place?

Perhaps, one reason is that we can follow the order of the Church which has had a historian and record keeper since the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized.  From the beginning, Joseph Smith was asked to keep a record of the Church.  Through revelation, Joseph Smith called John Whitmer to "keep a regular history, and assist...my servant Joseph, in transcribing all things...(D&C 47:1)"  John Whitmer was also asked to "keep the church record and history continually (47:3)."  So, certain men were called to keep a record of the Church and take turns transcribing for the Prophet Joseph.  And when we go back and look at further accounts of the dealings of Christ with His people, such as Nephi, we are told why he and other prophets kept a record as well (1 Nephi 9).  The records are for their posterity and for us.  Think of all that we have because these men fulfilled their callings!

Another reason, I often think that our journals can be like that of the accounts of Nephi and other prophets.  Sure we don't receive revelation for a large congregation of people, but we can have personal revelation touch our lives, and record that revelation as reminders  President Eyring gave a talk about his experience of keeping a journal.  When he was recalling the day, he said that he learned to recognize the hand of the Lord in his life, and he recognized that the Lord blessed him.  Essentially our journals can be reminders of ways the Lord loves us, and like scriptures of old.  Wouldn't that be something you would want on hand?  I mean, to recall how Our Heavenly Father can touch our lives. Our daily accounts may not always have revelation intermingled, but I think of how much you can gain from recalling and recounting your days in a journal.  What can you learn as you look back on your life and your experiences?  What can your children learn?

So, here is what I do: I have a day planner with small sections for each day for me to record the day's activities, and my thoughts.  I also like to write down my goals for the day or even the week.  Now, I don't always record everything right away-generally it's a once or twice a week recollection of my days and account.  But I highlight the most important events.  I also have an extra section to scribble in some thoughts as well.  And this is so easy!  I also have another journal that Greg gave me last Christmas.  I keep this one on my night stand for my scripture study and I try to take it to Church with me so that I can record other thoughts and ideas.  I also like to use this to make longer entries and expound on things in my life that I can't fit in my day planner.

So, my question is do you keep a journal?  If so, how often?  What insights have you gained from one?

1 comment:

  1. I count my blog as a family journal. But I love the idea of using a day planner.

    ReplyDelete