Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Perspective on Work

Today, I started my first day at my new job.  I work at a local grocery store now.  Is this the job I've always dreamed of?  No.  But finding a job in this area is pretty hard.  Not just saying that, but honestly, everyone I talk to says the same thing.  I found it really frustrating to realize that even jobs like teacher's assistants in an elementary school require certain certifications!  I know that it is difficult to find full-time jobs elsewhere, but here I feel like I am having the hardest time finding a full-time job!  I hear wonderful things about benefits for full-time employees, and I've learned that employers have to shell out a lot of money for their full-time employees because they have to provide so many benefits!!  But I must say that I am grateful for this job for a few reasons.

1. Money.  Of course money is necessary for living.  And one thing that I learned today is that if you put a reasonable request for pay when you fill out your application, then that company will generally give it to you.  The minimum wage here is $10.50/hr, and I asked for $12.00/hr.  And I get $12.00/hr which I am truly grateful for because honestly, it's expensive to live here!  (So next time you fill out an application for a crappy job and they ask what you want for pay, don't necessarily ask for minimum wages!)

2. Location.  I knew that I wanted a job near by especially since I don't get paid much.  This job is a 10-minute walk from my house.   I don't have to take pay for the bus or drive (gas is $1.32/Liter here which means about $70 to fill the tank).

3. I have a different perspective as U.S. citizen working in Canada.  See, I don't think I would get paid vacation time as a part-time employee, but apparently I do get paid here. It probably doesn't add up to much, but heck, I'll take what I can get.

4.  The people are generally nice.  Funny story, however; when I went in for training, it seemed like everyone was saying, "Don't let the a__holes get you down!" or "I realize there are some real a__holes here, but just ignore them."

5. I also get to work with produce and make a bunch of healthy foods for people.  Of course, work still sucks, but it's work.  Not fun time.  See Red Foreman's speech on work here:

6. I can and I am looking for other jobs out there, but for now, this will do.  Honestly, lying about and doing nothing is horrible.  So yes, I am grateful for this wonderful, crappy job.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you found some work, even if it isn't your dream job. Thanks for posting updates!

    ReplyDelete