Tuesday, May 13, 2014

"Bubble gum" reads

Not too long ago, I came across several pins on Pinterest about how terrible the series Twilight is.  (Guys this isn't hipster any more.)  I think the world understands now that Twilight isn't the most well-written book out there.  But hey, it still made a lot of money and people liked it which is something we can't say about Moby Dick when it first was published.

But I would like to remind people that we have different genres of literature--some are well-written classics while others are 'bubble gum' books.  I define bubble gum books as the books that are easy to pick up and don't take long to get through while keeping you entertained for a while.  I would say that most people, including myself, were entertained by this series and hoped that Bella chose Edward over what's-his-name.  I  mean, I am glad that Twilight was around so I could definitely get the five-hour unnecessary break I needed from studying to read through it and then proceed to take another two-hour break to go see it with Greg.

I would also like to add that Bella may have ONLY just cared about having a boyfriend and falling in love, but she wasn't the only one who thought about love at her age, right?  I will be the first to admit that falling in love was on the list of things to do while a teenager.  Yes, Bella did cry excessively, but didn't we all cry a bit when things didn't work out?  Sure, Bella may not have started a wide-spread revolution like Katniss (vampires and werewolves unite!), but she still succeeded in getting her man (which is something most of us hope for!).  See!  We can all learn something from Bella, and then never read about her again.

 Anyway, enjoy your bubble gum literature this summer while you get a tan or go on a trip to get a tan.


No comments:

Post a Comment