Sunday, May 25, 2014

Theodore Janke Jr.

I am pretty familiar with military life since a large number of my family has served in the military.  I am very grateful for them, and for their service because I know being in the military is demanding on them and their families.  I can easily list that I know a number of my ancestors and my immediate family have served in the military or been in the military during times of war, but boasting about something like that makes you kind of depressed since being in the military obviously means fighting and possibly dying.  

This Memorial day, I just wanted to remember one person from my mother's mother's side of the family who served and, unfortunately, died during the Vietnam War.  His name is Theodore Janke, Jr.  He's one of my grandmother's cousins. You can find him on the Vietnam Memorial in Washingon D.C. or here.  (Honestly, finding someone you know on this wall is a downer.)  I, of course, never knew him, but I am grateful he served, and sad that he died.

Here's to you, Theodore Janke Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment