Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sugar update

  I know it has been a while since I last blogged about this topic, but it was mostly because keeping a strictly no-processed sugar diet (when I mean no-processed sugar, I mean for all the foods out there) was quite difficult, and not as realistic as I thought it was (yay goals!) because making everything from scratch is time consuming and finding products that I would feel comfortable using is a pain and costly.  I had read stories about people being able to do it, but man, at this point in my life, this goal doesn't feel realistic.  Now that I am pregnant, and I am not always in the mood to cook, keeping that goal is much harder.
 But I recognized that I could handle low-processed sugar diet or just an occasional sweet indulgence without a lot of issues (when I mean low-processed sugar diet, I mean in terms for sweets/snacks--I still eat store-bought breads and pastas, etc.)  A lot of sugar consumed is difficult on my body because my body doesn't do well.  For instance, I thought, "What the heck it's Christmas time, and I will enjoy some sweets."  Bad idea. Even though I was trying to be judicious with the sweets I ate, I still ate more than my body was used to.  My emotions the past several days were crazy, and I knew it wasn't just pregnancy hormones.  I knew that I had exceeded my limit on sugar.  Now I have a hankering for sweets, and I get to wean myself off of from all of the sugary desires by making homemade sweets.  For now, I will be more realistic about this sugar goal and stick with the 80/20 rule.  Be good 80% of the time by using natural sweeteners, and take it easy now and again especially when coconut and chocolate have made themselves into a delicious combination... or even a chocolate and peanut butter. Yum.

P.S. I realize that restricting myself from processed sugar seems like a crazy, mean thing to do to myself, but when you feel better about yourself, you try to do things to maintain that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment