Thursday, April 9, 2015

Rant: proper terminology

 I find myself frustrated that women don't use the proper terms for their own genitalia.  Va-jay-jay??  Come on.

 The other day, I was reading an article about the five milestones in pregnancy that women don't often speak of.  One of the milestones is the point where you can no longer see your crotch or as the author of the article called it: the 'va-jay-jay'.  I have also noticed lately women using this term or similar terms in articles or blog posts quite a bit, and it bothers me.  First of all, what's wrong with using proper terminology and actually naming your body parts correctly?  Are women that uncomfortable with their bodies that they can't use proper terminology?  Second of all, the external female genitalia is collectively known as the vulva, not the vagina (which I believe the va-jay-jay is the slang for).  I've never been able to see my vagina without using a mirror and even then I can't even see the entirety of it.

 I realize that male and female genitalia have numerous slang terms, but when pointing out our own body parts, shouldn't we use the correct term for it?  Shouldn't we be able to name that particular part correctly, too?



    

No comments:

Post a Comment