Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Homemade Granola and breastfeeding

Okay this will mostly be about granola, but I do want to share why I make granola so often.
Oatmeal! Almonds! Two helpful foods for increasing breast milk supply. I look back on the last few months of my pregnancy, and now I understand my desire to have a bowl of oatmeal so often. Even as I went into labor I enjoyed a bowl of granola with milk. Yum.

What you will need:
2 cups of oatmeal
1/2 to 3/4 cup of sliced almonds
Dash of salt
1/4 cup of butter or coconut oil or a combination of both
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp of cinnamon
Optional:raisins, ctaisins, or other nuts or even seeds
(For the sake of time, I keep this simple.)

Combine all ingredients into a bowl, and mix well. Spread out evenly onto a pan. Bake at 200 degrees for twenty minutes, rotating half way through. Allow granola to sit at room temperature for an hour or so before consuming...or packing it away. You don't necessarily have to melt the butter before --let it melt in the oven.  Mixing it into the dry ingredients as best as you can will suffice. Should yield about 4 cups or so. Add it to yogurt or make a bowl of cereal. Or you can eat it plain.


No comments:

Post a Comment