Wednesday, June 1, 2016

I miss you still

My grandfather died a year ago today. Shortly after I learned I was pregnant, I learned my grandfather had stomach cancer. The timing was not the greatest, your might say. Each time I called, I would share news of my pregnancy while I would hear news of my grandfather's illness.  But life became more meaningful with death ever present. Tycho arrived five days after my grandfather died. It was a joyous time as well a mournful time. I couldn't share Tycho with him, but I know we all rejoiced with new, beautiful life.

I know he was still hanging on--waiting for his unborn great-grandson to be born. He inquired when I spoke to him. A part of me wishes he could have met him here on earth while a part feels like he must have had the chance to meet Tycho in Heaven before Tycho was born.

I miss his strong hands and his twinkling blue eyes. I miss his cheerful manner in which he would answer the phone when I called. Even though he was a quiet man, he could always make me laugh with one of his mischievous grins. He always asked me to talk to him with "what do you know today, Sue-Sue?" I will always remember his candy stash of black licorice or good 'n  plenty in the desk downstairs and his endless number of decks of playing cards he had on the counter in the kitchen. I'll remember his quiet presence in the kitchen with his two little dogs nearby ready to go with their master. I'll remember him taking care of his cows, and helping him feed the calves. I am so grateful I got to spend so much time with him as a child. He was so good to his family and was always there when we needed him--patiently waiting to be there for us.

I love you much, grandpa.



         

No comments:

Post a Comment