Monday, September 22, 2014

Book List

I was asked by a friend on Facebook a few weeks ago to list the ten books that have stayed with me no matter the book.
I, unfortunately, struggled to come up with the books immediately, and then when I looked through my library, I struggled to keep the number to ten.  So, I'd like to share some with you, and give a short explanation as to why they've stayed with me for so long.

1. Agony of Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
I read this as a tween, and I guess the simple answer is that I related to this book well even though Alice was kind of weird to me.

2. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I read this book a few times as a child, and I loved it except that I liked the movie version where Sara's dad actually is alive and she has to remind him of that fact he's a dad before she's taken to jail.  More dramatic.  As an adult, I love the story more because of the life lessons I gleaned from it.  No matter the situation, always behave as though you are a princess: kind, loving, thoughtful, dedicated to studies and friends, etc., etc.

3. Little Women by Lousia May Alcott
I read this book as a challenge to myself when I was younger.  I was interested--and still am-- in classics.  I read this book, and I thought it was super boring.  Geez Jo!  Why'd you get married to an old guy!  When I went back and read it as an adult, I fell in love with the book.  I love Mrs. March the most.  She is wise and wonderful mom.

4. Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman
Favorite book of all time even though I cry so much every time I read it.  I first picked up this book in the library when I was in middle school.  I remember checking it out a couple of times before I acquired this book by chance at a book sale (Score!)  Ever since then, it's the book I always take with me when I move. What's not to love about a story that tells stories?

5. October Sky by Homer H. Hickham
Again, I think I love the stories within the story.  I also appreciate the passion for science and the love of learning shared in this book.

6. The New Junior Classics: Fairy Tales and Fables compiled by Mable Williams and Marcia Dalphin
This book was on the shelf in the library in my living room for a short time before I stole it, and then placed it on my own shelf.  I love fairy tales so much!  This book was also my graduation present from Greg (I asked for it).

7. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I have a love/hate relationship with this book--kind of like Rhett's feelings towards Scarlett.  I read this book about five times when I was between the ages of 13- 15 which may or may not have been good for me.  For Christmas one year, I got my own copy of the book and the DVDs with lots of background information which you won't watch after spending four hours watching the movie. I love learning about the Civil War, and this book just made history feel almost alive.  Plus Rhett Butler is such a babe even though he's an older gentleman.  Every time I read this book, I want to yell obscene things at Scarlett 'cause she's such an idiot, but then I have to admire her will to live.

8. Love Stories of World War Two compiled by Larry King
I got this book at the same time I got my own copy of Mrs. Mike.  I love reading positive stories about love and marriage.  Plus, this is another way of experiencing history without reading a history book.  What types of things were people doing during the war?  Where did people go, etc.?  So intriguing.

9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I weep when Jane leaves Mr. Rochester.  Also St. John is super annoying.  I'm always glad Jane never 'marries' him.

10. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
This book is tattered now from the many times that my sister and I have read it.  I had to tape the cover together recently.  All I can say is I love this book so much, and if you haven't read it, go read it 'cause it is a fantastic book.

11. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
I went through a phase where I was interested in Russian literature because my mom was doing a lot of family history when I was about fourteen years old.  The summer before I started ninth grade, I read through War and Peace.  Honestly, I can't remember much of War and Peace. I tried reading Crime and Punishment and Doctor Zhivago at some point, but I'll have to try again soon.  If only divorce was not looked down upon in nineteenth century Russia, Anna!

12. Persuasion by Jane Austen
I love the movie so much.  I ended up watching this movie all the time at my grandparents house because they didn't have a wide selection of movies.  (I can only watch Mulan, A Little Princess, and Shrek so many times!)  But anyway, I read this book for book club this year, and I really liked it.  Perhaps I relate to this book so much because I can be easily persuaded and I like to make people happy.  But I also like that their love is rekindled in a strange fashion.

13. David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
I have to be honest: I never finished David Copperfield because the story was so depressing. Dad dies. Mom remarries. Mom dies. Step-dad is evil jerk.  This story kind of hit home because sometimes I felt like I lost a parent.  I couldn't progress in the book, but I plan to go back and read all the way through someday.  Reading A Tale of Two Cities almost redeemed Dickens for me.  Why does Sydney have to die!?

15. The Belgariad by David Eddings
My favorite fantasy series.  So freakin' good.  Although, I thought Aunt Pol was kind of mean to Garion when I first read this book, but I later changed my mind.  She's quite protective of Garion. This is one of the series that I read to get to know Greg a bit more so to speak.  I think you can learn a lot about a person by the books they read.

16. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Plshh. I know everybody likes Harry Potter, but they've just said Harry Potter series on their lists.  I'll be more specific with y'all, though.  I love Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban because Harry has hope for once at the end of the story even though he doesn't get to live with godfather.  I also love seeing how hard working Hermione is by keeping with so many classes.  Plus, Harry is still at that kind of cute age before he gets annoying with his angst.

17. Book of Isaiah
I took an intense semester to study this beautiful book of the Old Testament.  Nothing like translating Hebrew and then having lengthy discussions to help understand this book.  I still have all my notes and translations from this class.


No comments:

Post a Comment