Thursday, September 11, 2014

Book Review: Einstein Never Used Flashcards

   I just finished a book called Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How our children really learn--and why they need to play more and memorize less.  (Whew!  Long title!) I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book as a recommendation from a close friend.  The authors, Kathy Hirsch-Paske, Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, and Diane Eyer look at and explain a lot of research about early childhood development for all aspects of learning that parents are generally concerned about: social, language, and math.  The research gives you a general idea of what your child can understand at different ages, and the authors basically repeat that PLAY = LEARNING, and that while those classes are good, they aren't necessary.  

  I think I am a big fan of this book because the authors remind me of counsel from the general authorities.  The authors of Einstein Never Used Flashcards remind the readers that children don't benefit from this hurried society.  President Uchtdorf says that we need to slow down and enjoy the moments especially during a time of crisis or being overwhelmed. The book suggest that if parents decide to enroll their young children in activities, that we should think about the reasons for doing so.  Are we being pressured by the Jones family?  Will this be something our child might enjoy?  Like Elder Oaks has said, we have the option to choose good, better, or best.  Many people, including myself, believe it would be best if our families could have dinner together every night instead of rushing off to various events.  Lastly, the authors recommend that children need unstructured play time to replenish their batteries and to learn.  I also believe that adults can benefit from this, too.  While adults don't necessarily 'play' anymore, they can have quiet moments to think about their day and their troubles.  I like what Elder L. Tom Perry says about living with simplicity.  At the beginning of his talk, he mentions how he and his wife would go somewhere peaceful to get away from the demands of life.  I just loved the ideas of slowing down and letting your child learn at their pace--but still parenting and guiding them in their learning!

Anyway, I know this isn't the greatest review, but I wanted to share this with y'all instead of leaving it as a draft.  I like that even as a non-fiction book with a great number of studies mentioned, this book is easy to get through.





2 comments:

  1. Good reminder to parents! (And just people in general.) We really do live in such a hectic world. Advice I would throw in is also to turn off electronics every once in awhile. While I'm not opposed to electronic devices, it's so therapeutic to unplug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that was something else the book mentioned in passing. I agree, too! Sometimes, electronics get in the way.

    ReplyDelete