Thursday, July 30, 2015

Recipe: Pancakes

I love pancakes.  However, I married someone who doesn't like pancakes, waffles, or French toast...  Don't worry, he will eat crepes, though!  Since my husband doesn't like pancakes, I still make them for me. I will make the batter according to the recipe, and use it over a few days. Since this recipe has raw eggs, you don't want to keep it more than a week (the batter looks really yucky after a few days).

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
2 cups of milk
3 eggs
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar or honey (I use sucanut)
a dash of cinnamon, optional
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil (or a combination of both) plus extra butter for cooking

You can soak the grains in soured milk (milk plus a little bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar) over night to help with phytic acid if you wish to or just make them the morning of.  Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, and add in all "wet" ingredients.
Melt butter in frying pan. Add in 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of batter to hot pan. Allow pancake to cook for a few minutes before flipping it. Cook on other side for a few minutes. Best eaten with lots of butter and real maple syrup. Or you could eat it them with applesauce and a few chopped almonds or even with banana slices and honey.

Do you have a favorite topping for your pancakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment