Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What's Cooking?

      I love home cooked meals, and right now, I'm interested in making my meals from scratch as much as possible.  Recently, I've made a couple of attempts to make cooking from scratch a bit easier.  Not that I don't have time to cook--I just want to make life easier so I can do things like be on the computer doing...stuff.  So here are two tips I will share with you.
The first is to make a rotisserie chicken in your crock pot such as the recipe found here.  I do things a bit differently, however; I buy chicken breasts with the bones and skin attached because meat is really expensive (like $4.99/lb for boneless, skinless chicken breasts).  I cook the chicken in the same fashion as the Busy Mommy blogger, and usually end up using the chicken in curry or soups.  Or I even just leave the chicken as is, and serve it with roasted vegetables.  
My second tip is to use your crock pot to make a lot of broth.  I made broth earlier this week/last weekend, and I got perhaps 25 cups of broth doing multiple rounds of broth.  I found this recipe here that explains the routine/recipe.  However, sometimes I just cook the broth on low for twelve hours instead of an initial twenty -four hours, and then leave it on warm to cool down for a few hours.  When the broth has cooled, I'll strain it and then place it into two- or four- cup containers that'll then be placed into the freezer until I need it. I've loved doing this because now I always have broth on hand which has been especially helpful since Greg has been sick.
I hope these tips help especially now that we are moving into a busier time of year.  What do you do to make cooking from scratch easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment