Friday, January 9, 2015

Thoughts on having a boy

First of all, we are thrilled that we are having a boy!!  (Greg won't actually say anything about his 'feelings', but I know he's happy to at least play with boy toys.)

I mean, one of the cool things about having a boy first is that we're following the Richins' trend of having a boy first.

  Around the time I had removed my IUD, I had dreams of a little girl, and I was so excited for her, and then we first decided to try for a baby, I had thought that we would have a little girl first based on those dreams.  However, when we learned that I was pregnant, I felt a bit sad because I felt that I wouldn't be having a girl.  When people would ask if I thought I was having a boy or a girl, I initially would say, "Well, I want a girl, but I think I'm having a boy." And then as my pregnancy progressed, I kept having dreams and strong impressions that we are having a boy.  Of course, I didn't always feel positive about these feelings (I'm such a doubting Thomas!), so I didn't say things like, "I know we're having a boy," but rather, "I think we're having a boy."  As I kept getting these feelings that I was carrying a boy, I felt happier with the idea of having a little boy.

  The frustrating part was when I would ask Greg about his guess on the gender, he wouldn't answer!  I know he likes to be right (thus the note I received after the ultrasound!), and not having a definitive way of knowing really bothered him.  About a week before the ultrasound, Greg started teasing me about knowing the gender, and he would say,"Are you excited to finally catch up to me about the baby's gender at the ultrasound?"  Pft.  Then, of course, he wouldn't reveal his 'knowledge' on the baby's gender.
  After like an hour of waiting on the technologist to finish doing measurements the baby, cervix, etc., we finally got to see the baby on the monitor!  Poor Greg had been waiting on me for a long time in the waiting room, and it was just a joyous moment for both of us to see the baby on the monitor.  The technologist started from his head and worked her way down the baby's body, so when we finally got to the lower half of the body, we could see the baby as if he was sitting down on a chair and we were looking up from the chair.  She didn't even say anything until I exclaimed, "Oh it's a boy?!"  She then answered, "Yup, it looks like it's a boy: the scrotum is here and the penis here."  I kind of wish we had that ultrasound image just to have the "proof", but Greg teased me about being a pervert for wanting that picture...   (I would share the ultrasound pictures, but you know what a baby looks like.  Plus, I didn't admire a couple of the images I received.  I know that I sound ungrateful, but I felt like they were slapped together.)
  After the ultrasound, Greg asked me to get a piece of paper out of his pocket.  The note said, "It's a boy.  And, yes, it's tough knowing everything all the time."  At the time, I thought this was Greg's actual guess, but after intense interrogation later on, I learned that Greg had TWO pieces of paper written out the night before.  I'm not sure what he did with the other paper, but I was kind of upset at him for tricking me into believing this was his actual guess on the gender of the baby.  Now I've just laughed it off, and it's just a funny part of the story.

  In case you are wondering, of the two boy names we have picked out, I immediately knew which of them would fit more with this little guy, and I think Greg agrees with me for now.  Although, we'll wait to officially name him once he's born!



1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm still so excited for you! You will have so much fun chasing your little boy around.

    ReplyDelete